Lighting fireworks is a festive way to celebrate Independence Day and is truly an American tradition. On the other hand, fireworks can be dangerous if you do not exercise extreme caution when using them. If you plan to celebrate with fireworks, consider these safety tips:
- Buy only legal fireworks (they have a label with the manufacturer´s name and directions, illegal ones are unlabeled)
- Read and follow all the safety instructions and manufacturers’ warnings.
- Only light one firework at a time, always outside and in an open area.
- Do not try and make your own fireworks.
- Kids should never play with fireworks.
- Have a bucket of water handy for emergencies.
- Do not try and re-light a “dud” firework that did not go off the first time. Instead, let it sit for 20 minutes and then soak it in water.
- Do not light off fireworks pointed at or near others.
- Light one firework at a time (not in glass or metal containers), and never relight a dud.